Sunday, January 14, 2007

Is winter upon us?

Finally! It was cold on the way in this morning. Too bad it was dry though. I had a mostly lonely ride on the Cross Check. Switched it over to a Fixed gear with the Innova studded tires as I was expecting pandelerium on the way in. Alas, it was not to be.

The only strange things I saw were the occasional patch of ice from the odd bit of standing water (which made the studded tires worthwhile- even if they sound like a chainsaw buzzing down the road) and some guy standing outside in his underwear (briefs only... no socks, shirt, or shoes). His truck window was broken out on the drivers side and it looked like he was assessing the damage. We both gave each other odd looks. I guess he wasn't expecting some crazy guy to ride by on a bike at 5am with temps in the 20's, just like I wasn't expecting a guy in briefs in the same conditions...

This brings up a point that just irks me to no end. I've been commuting by bike for over a year now and I have probably seen 10 or so cars with broken windows. This is just through Ryan Place and Fairmount. My wifes car even had a window broken about 7 months ago. We didn't have anything stolen out of the car, but there wasn't anything in there either. I'm guessing it's an act of vandalism. I don't know if the others are the same, or if something was stolen from them. All I know is that it cost me money. I'm sure they think it's hilarious, but it's not a victimless crime. It takes money out of my pocket that could be put to much better use.

Judging from the one I saw this morning, I must have missed the smashing by only a few minutes. I never really gave it much thought, but I wonder what I would do if I saw it happen. I guess my best bet would be to make a good witness. A guy on a bike doesn't have much of a chance against a car in either a chase or a game of chicken, so neither is a realistic (or practical) solution. The only thing that worries me is that they might sideswipe me as they make their escape. Squirting them with a water bottle would probably only make things worse. That only works with dogs.

I love commuting early in the morning and late at night, but things like this make one pause for thought every now and then. Especially when they're desperate enough to do it on bad weather days.

It's raining/sleeting outside again right now, so I should have a fun ride home tonight! Maybe even some ice riding tonight and tomorrow morning. Hoping that Bernie over at Panther City Bicycles finished up his ice ride and maybe we can kick around some tomorrow and get weird looks.

No comments: