Sunday, January 28, 2007

New Fixie for my Fix!

Alright! Since Ghetto Fab is now out of commission, I swung by the thrift store to see if there were any candidates for a new fixed gear ride. I walked to the back and found the perfect replacement. A sweet little Schwinn World that was the perfect size for me.



I know these bikes weren't expensive when they were produced by Schwinn Chicago and aren't really collectible, which makes it perfect for my purposes. A guilt free conversion to fixed gear. This bike was in great condition, with the exception of the inch of grime, dust, and dry rotted tires.



When I stripped down the bike, all the parts (bearings, axle, etc...) were covered in dried up grease. However, the parts looked like they didn't have any use on them at all. The bearings look new. Heck everything looked new.



This lugged beauty is probably the best $30.00 I've spent in a loooong time. Other than the decals on the top tube, which were probably scratched off from the bike leaning against something or other through the years. So I rubbed them off, cleaned the bike up, greased what needed greasing, and transferred the necessary parts from G-Fab over. Another few bucks for a longer seat post and I was in business!



This bike rides great and will be a great city bike. While the quill stem is a bit on the short side, it's comfy for the 20 miles I put on it day before yesterday. I'll ride it more later this week and really see how it feels. Can't wait to try it out.





powered by performancing firefox

No comments: