Friday, February 9, 2007

Commuting in the Dark


I thought I would incorporate two of my favorite hobbies today. Cycling and photography. Granted these aren't my best compositions, but I don't do many night shots and this is something I've been wanting to work on. These photos also reinforce what I've thought for a while. I need a small tripod if I'm gonna keep doing this.




Here is one of the biggest reasons I do what I do...



Makes the long hours at work worthwhile. My family is a constant reminder that this whole work thing is a means to an end and that I work to live. Not live to work. Pay no attention to the artwork on the wall. Our budding artist was apparently experimenting with different mediums. The theme of the week must be graffiti.

You'll notice there's no picture of my wife sleeping. Probably wouldn't have gone over nearly as well.

I love riding into work. This is one of the most worthwhile things I've done in a while. Even on the coldest days my ride in is peaceful and I feel great by the time I get to work.



Coming down 6th is nice since they put in the new street lights. They are very nicely done for this historic neighborhood.



There is certain serenity that is accomplished while riding that is hard to duplicate. I can't even describe how quiet it is. The only way to understand is to experience it yourself.









When I reach Magnolia, I see the first car of my trip. Actually, the only car on this commute. There just isn't that much traffic at 5am. Which is fine by me.





If you've been thinking about commuting by bike, I can't recommend it highly enough. It takes a little planning and perseverance, but it is an endeavor worth pursuing.

No comments: