Monday, February 19, 2007

First day as a Bicycle Courier

Now before you drop dead of a heart attack, I'm still working as a Paramedic. This is just something to pass the time on my days off when I don't have anything else to do. Since I spend a bunch of time at the bike shop anyways, the boys just decided to put me to work. I'm glad they did.

It really wasn't much different than anything I do now, I just did a lot more of it. Which is pretty cool in my opinion. It reinforced just how much I do enjoy riding. One thing I do know is that I need to get a quicker lock. The chain is heavy and the cable is a bit on the cumbersome side. Should probably look into the streetcuffs. Those are pretty quick.

Ended up doing just under 20 miles today. When I plotted it out on the G-Maps Pedometer, it was amazing just how sporadic the travel was. As an aside, the G-Maps Pedometer is an awesome little program. Especially if you like to track your mileage (like I do), but don't have a computer on your bike. I haven't put one on the Fixed gear, and so far I like it that way. Although sometimes it would be nice to know how fast I'm going, since I'm a bit of a techno-weenie that way.

As you can see, I was kind of all over the place today...



One thing I do have to say, I wish I was either independently wealthy... or that the courier gig paid enough to live the lifestyle I have grown accustomed to. It was incredibly fun today. Can't wait for my next day off so I can do it some more.

<CAUTION! INSANELY BORING TECHNICAL BIKE STUFF!!!>
The new (to me) Fixie is holding up pretty well also. I was a bit worried about the bottom bracket, as the threads on the drive side cup were stripped out. I JB Welded it in and so far it seems to be holding up, even when I attack on the hills. However, I know a Stronglight Bottom Bracket is in my not too distant future. I just hope that future is further, as opposed to sooner.

That, along with a new Sugino Crank, and the new Deep V's with Surly Jim Brown hubs... would be incredibly sweet looking on the Schwinn.

No comments: