Sunday, September 9, 2007

Confessions of a Bag junkie

Ok, I can admit it. I'm a bag junkie. It all started off innocently enough when Gracie was a wee tyke and I bought my first bag to carry stuff for both her and I more easily. It was the Maxpedition Jumbo Versapack. An all around great bag for anything you might want to carry. Juice cup, snacks, knife, wallet, phone, camera, gun (if you're into that sort of thing), gum, handi wipes, kleenex, keys... you name it and it'll probably hold it.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I love this bag. It's well constructed and holds just about everything you might need for a day out on the town.

When I started riding, it just fed into my bag obsession. If you want to collect bags, cycling is the way to do it. There are bags under the saddles, and even bags to carry your phone in on long training rides so they don't get sweat all over them...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I just picked up another nifty little bag today at the gun show. It's another Maxpedition bag, a smaller version that is just the right size to wear on my waist when riding the fixed gear. It's called the M-4 Waistpack. Holds a spare tube, mini U-lock, wallet, phone, and CO2.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I think it will work out perfectly.

Another bag I like to use is my Topeak Trunk bag. I throw it on the rear rack of the Cross Check when I commute into work. It holds everything I need perfectly.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Of course, every now and then I find a bag I may, or may not, need. A few cases of this are the Nascar phone case (with Nascar label conveniently taken off- hey it was on clearance what can I say). Which is the perfect size for those small items that get lost in bigger bags.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The other clearance bag I bought, was this little Crumpler. Found it at REI in their little clearance closet one day when I was looking for something to use my dividend on. It's a handy little bag.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Of course, the pride of my collection is the Chrome Metropolis. It is the end all- be all of man bags. I can carry more beer than I can drink in a day, or a months worth of diapers (don't ask me how I know both of these facts, just trust me). It is tough, waterproof, and easy to carry stuff in. I've used it to commute with, run errands, and work the hard streets of Funky Town as a bike messenger (well, not too many days as a bike messenger... and the streets of Fort Worth aren't really that rough), and even won an alleycat with this very bag.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I like this bag so much, that it even has it's own bag on it to carry my phone. Yes, a bag within a bag within a bag...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Now I will say that I get some grief from time to time. Mainly from people at work, or my wife, or friends, or... well you get the idea. Things like manbag, Metro, Murse, Manpris, Shants, etc... are thrown out. That's fine, since I don't have (or need, or want) a car, I do need something to tote all my stuff around in. Women should understand how handy a bag is to carry everything in. Other men, well I give them the benefit of the doubt as they just haven't tried it yet. If they did, I'm sure they would enjoy it as much as I do. I know one other guy that enjoys a man bag as much as I do... if not more.

3 comments:

Michael said...

I share your same affliction. Whenever me and steph are at a store and I start looking at a bag, I usually hear, "You need that like you need a hole in the head!" She has said that the next bag purchase needs to be a big one. An end all bag purchase. Chrome, crumpler, I dunno, but truthfully I dont think it will fully satiate my desire for bags.

Hasty! said...

Well, the bigger bag won't cure it... but it sure helps dull the pain. If I might make a suggestion, it would be the Chrome. The Crumpler, and Timbuk2 for that matter, are nice bags... they just don't ride on the back as nicely.

Buy as many bags as you want to... or just tell Steph that you'll quit buying bags when she quits buying purses, or shoes (whichever she buys the most of).

Michael said...

I think she is neck and neck with purses and shoes. She just started working at the salon inside Nieman Marcus (Richard Hayler) so she will be getting a discount at Niemans. Her being surrounded by millions in bags and shoes scares me a little but I trust her.....