Thursday, March 6, 2008

Details, details, details...

Alrighty.

Here are the finer points of my Big Dummy build for those of you that are interested...

The frame is a 20 inch Big Dummy that I ordered as a frame and fork from my LBS.



A little background here. I'm about 5' 11" and this 20 inch frame rides nicely with drops and
100mm stem that has about a 10-15 degree rise (I don't remember the exact rise sorry). Granted I do have more torso than legs and was going to order an 18 inch frame, but this one fits nicely.

My overall impression is that this frame is very well built. Nice clean welds and a very good job on the powdercoat.

The only thing I had to do to prep the frame was chase the threads on the bottom bracket.
Other than that this frame was good to go.

For the build I used components that I've been hoarding since I first read about the Big Dummy
at interbike 2006. Yeah, I'm one of the dorks that's been waiting 2 years for this frame.

The only component I didn't have were the wheels. Everything else was in a parts bin or off
another bike.

Also, I haven't ordered my xtracycle components yet. I wanted a bike in hand before I ordered
the rest. The other thing I'll add is a front disc when my wheels are finished.

Here's a list of my components:

Salsa Bell Lap Moto Ace bar

Tektro Road Brake Levers

Dura Ace Bar End Shifters

Paul Touring Canti Brakes front and rear

Campagnolo Veloce Triple Crank (52/42/30)

Miche 112mm Bottom Bracket

Shimano Ultegra Frond Derailleur

Shimano XT Rear Derailleur

Shimano XT Cassette 11-34 9 Speed

Brooks Team Pro Saddle

Thomson Elite 27.2 330 silver seatpost

Maxxis Overdrive wheels 26x1.75

The wheels are some Araya wheels that I had laying around. My real wheels aren't done yet.
However when they are, they'll be Shimano XT hubs laced to Salsa Gordo rims. Front will be a
disc compatible dyno hub, while the rear will be disc compatible. All black.

The bike went together easy enough. There were only a few challenges that were easily solved
just by looking at the problem and applying a little common sense (and some outside the box thinking
from time to time).

The brakes work well with this bike. Also, Paul Canti's have to be the easiest Canti Brakes
I've ever set up.



Initially, I thought the rear Canti would be more difficult to set up. It was a looong way from the
seatpost to the straddle wire on that Canti. Luckily, I was able to attach a rear cable hanger
and route the cable well enough. Works much better that I expected it to.



Drivetrain went in easily too. The big problem I was expecting was my front derailleur. The
Big Dummy is designed to use a Mountain Bike style Top-Pull derailleur. Well, since I was
using Campy cranks, that was out of the question. There are no Top Pull FD's that will
cover a 52 tooth ring. I thought about removing the big ring and putting a bash guard there and
just buying a FD that would work with my 42 tooth ring, really how often would I use a 52 crank
on a Utlilty bike anyways ? (...I know you're all thinking that...) However, you really don't see
many bash guards on the market with a BCD of 135. So I thought it out.

Problem Solvers makes cable stops that would generally work great in this situation. I had actually sort of anticipated this and ordered one a while back. My goal was to place it on the downtube about where bar shifters would go and just route it like any other cable. Unfortunately, the downtube on the Big Dummy is huge. Almost 35mm IIRC. So that didn't work. I ended up using a few zip ties and putting the cable stop on the seat tube. It works pretty well and was much cheaper than having to buy a new derailleur.



The chain is a little longer than 1.5x a regular chain. I also put some tape on the cross member
to prevent any chain slap. However that hasn't been a problem yet. As you can see I have plenty of chain clearance. This pic is about middle on both ends of the drive train.









This bike rides very smoothly. Handles well, but does take a little getting used to. I think
one good 15-20 miles ride should make you about as comfortable with it as you can get.

However, I would also recommend putting a little tape of some sort on the rear of the frame on the part that looks like footsies. Until you get used to the extra length of this bike, you're gonna
turn a few corners too sharply. Trust me, I know this because I've already scuffed the powdercoat in that very spot. In the picture below it's the semi circle in the bottom right hand side of the picture.







Man I love this bike. Reminds me why I went car free two years ago. Hopefully it will
help ease some of the hard parts about being car free as well.

8 comments:

Tarik Saleh said...

Dude, You will be HAULING when you get that thing loaded and wound up to the 52x11!

Thanks for posting the build pics, a bunch of us were wondering what the hell the upper seatstay bridge threaded hole was for. Canti's of course. Nice job on the build. I just ordered a million dollars worth of crap so I could build mine up. I am sure I forgot some things, but thanks for the post...

Bernie said...

What Xtracyclecessories are you going to get? Are you still making your own Freeloaders?

Hasty! said...

Tarik,

Darn tootin' I'll be haulin! Downhill, with the wind at my back,probably in the dark too.

Glad the pics will help. I was hoping it would be helpful to someone.

Bernie,

I'm still thinking about building my own. You know how I am.

Plus, how many Big Dummies will be rolling sporting hand tooled leather saddle bags.

Mauricio Babilonia said...

Cheers from a fellow dork! I've been waiting for this thing since '06 too. I agree that it looks like a really well-made frameset. Glad you found a use for that upper seatstay brazeon.

Except for the Brooks, my build list is completely different—you can see an early version here.

theblackdane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
theblackdane said...

Great post! - Question for you. What are the silver "plugs" in the front h-rack holes?

Hasty! said...

Blackdane,

Those silver plugs are there in case you bend any of the tubing at the connection points. Also protected the frame while it was being shipped.

Tap it in with a hammer and it'll round out the tubing.

My silver plug is currently sitting in my toolbox. Hopefully I'll never need to use it.

You can find more on it here:

http://www.surlybikes.com/files/bigdummy_instructions.pdf

Look on page 5 of 9.

Galen said...

how do you like having the drops when you've got the dummy loaded. Do you ever feel like you'd want more leverage?