Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Holga, where have you been all my life???

Oh that's right. You've been available, but like so many other things in life I had just ignored you...

For those of you unfamiliar with the Holga, it's a medium format film camera (meaning much bigger negative than the 35mm that most of us use). Let me rephrase, it's a cheap plastic medium format camera with a plastic lens, controls that might or might not work, that has the ability to make incredibly striking images... or just be a waste of overexposed film.

Sounds like a great deal right?

Well, here are some shots from my first roll. As usual, I just kind of rode my bike around downtown taking shots that tickled my fancy. I wanted to compare the pics to things I had shot before so I would know where I went wrong and where I could improve.

Anyway, the results:


1.Sleeping Panther statue just across the street from the courthouse.


2. My Big Dummy doin' his thing downtown while I shoot some pics.


3. First Christian Church Downtown (well the dome anyways).


4. The Panther Pond on the South end of downtown


5. Historic Eddleman-McFarland House (I don't know what makes it historic, that's just what everybody calls it).


6. A random Longhorn image in a bridge piling on Lancaster Ave.



7. Fred's Tx! Historic watering hole and home of the killer Chipotle Cheeseburger.


8. "Woman Addressing the Public" Sculpture at the Kimbell Art Museum.


9. An odd running flower sculpture in back of the Kimbell that always makes me smile for some reason.


Overall, I have to say I'm impressed with the Holga. I think it will be my go to camera for quite some time. My next roll has some night shots and a few portraits. I think portraits might actually be a strength of this camera. Hopefully the girls will tolerate me while I find out.

2 comments:

Mauricio Babilonia said...

I loves me a Holga. Pull out the frame mask and you can do crazy stuff like this .

tricky said...

Awesome! Stephanie loves her holga. Do you have any plans to mod it? Convert it to 35mm, etc?

I have been thinking about picking up a diana.