Thursday, July 24, 2008

See what the garbage fairy left for me...

What am I going to do with this???


One of the advantages of going everywhere by bike is that if you see something that looks interesting, you can easily stop and take a closer look. That's how I found this Beseler Enlarger. It was sitting on the side of the road.

Don't worry, I found the owner and he put it there on purpose. Didn't have time to mess with the hobby anymore and didn't want it taking up the space anymore. I think he was actually a bit surprised that I knew what it was. Yes, observant readers will notice that there are two enlargers in the picture. He gave me a second one after we talked.

I finally found something that could not fit on the Big Dummy. I had to borrow Sharons car and come back for it later. Fortunately it was still there.

Weird that it was me that even found it. Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do about it. Small old historic homes don't exactly lend themselves to adding darkrooms when you don't have much extra space to begin with. However, there is the attic...

For those of you that are unfamiliar with this item, it's a Beseler Enlarger. A high end dark room tool that was used to make pictures from negatives long long ago. I actually remember using them once upon a time. Just never one this nice, and by nice I mean really expensive.

5 comments:

Velo, Tx said...

Quite a bit of our furniture has been source from the garbage. Good find!

Mauricio Babilonia said...

Beseler 23c, isn't it? I used to have one, though mine was blue. Does the motor smell like ozone when you run the head up and down?

Bernie said...

Dude! I will do whatever needed to help you set up a darkroom -- that is, of course, if I can use it from time to time...

Hasty! said...

Mauricio, it's actually a 45 CM. The motor does smell though.

Pretty cool actually. I've never used an enlarger with a motor before. Will probably make me lazy.

Bernie, if I have a dark room of course you could use it. Mi cuarto oscuro es su cuarto oscuro.

KB said...

Holy crap, I need to keep an eye out for stuff like this. Thank God not everybody knows about Craig's list. In Urbandale Iowa they have a week where everybody puts whatever out on the curb, ya drive around and grab what ya want, at the end of it all the city drive around and trashes what is left.